The possible origins of this name are different: maybe it comes from wheat (in Italian “grano”), once produced in this area, perhaps from the huge granite rock upon which the Matrice has been built, dedicated to San Basilio Magno and located in a pretty tiny square . Founded by Arabs in IX century, first quoted on official papers (as a donation of King Ruggero II) in 1116 only, Graniti has been property of several feudatories. Under Taormina government until 1639, it has been acquired by the noble Mastrillo family (photo 3).
Located in a hill, it has got 1708 inhabitants and is proud to be three sculptors’ homeland: Giuseppe Mazzullo (1913-1988), Francesco Lo Giudice (1936) and Antonio Mannino (1946). From Graniti is also Giovanni Calabrò (1892-1948), celebrated as the best composer of Villotte, a typical Friuli’s poem, the Italian Region where Calabrò lived and worked as a teacher.